Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Steinway O Tear Down




Today I began the Steinway O project. The first step is to take the necessary measurements before removing the string. These included plate position, plate height, string height, and string bearing on the bridge. I also recorded the string scale. After I am done recording information, I am ready to remove the strings.

I use a pneumatic impact wrench to reduce the tension on the strings. Then a little tool called a becket breaker is used to...(surprise) break the beckets in the tuning pins (beckets are the bend in the music wire where it enters the receiving hole of the tuning pin). After breaking the beckets the impact wrench is used to spin the tuning pins out of the old pinblock. Then the strings can be removed from the piano.

After the strings are removed, the screws and lags that secure the cast iron plate are removed, the plate is free to be hoised from the piano.

No comments:

Post a Comment