Wednesday, August 18, 2010
After gluing up five parts of the panel each at 12" or less, these piece were run through the thickness planer to even up the joined edges. The next step was to glue these 5 pieces together forming an almost complete panel. The final step was to glue the small corner pieces into place. When dried to 5% EMC, I can begin fitting the panel to the piano.
Thursday, August 12, 2010
I spent the day gluing up the soundboard panel for the Schoeninger upright. I am still waiting for several pieces to be shipped, but could begin because I am building the board in sections. This is a new experience for me as I usually purchase the boards already glued up. But there is a financial consideration- the unglued panels can be shipped UPS or FedX at a reasonable cost. The glued up panels must be shipped common carrier, and this costs almost as much as the panel itself. In this case, I am glad I am gluing it up myself, as the supplier laid it up incorrectly, which I can correct. If it had been glued up by my supplier, I would have been in a pickle! I even had time to glue up a board for my next harp project.
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
After enjoying a number of weeks away this summer, it's time to get on the Schomacker Upright board. I am still waiting for the final pieces of the board, as there was a mix up in the angle of the panel grain, that required me to re-lay up the board.Fortunately, the board was a kit, and not already glued up...I would of been in real trouble! Today I cut and shaped the ribs, and fit them into the rim. Hopefully the needed pieces of spruce will arrive soon so that I can continue the project.
The bridges have already been capped. Sorry that I didn't photograph that project.