Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Harp Back Glue Up

The plans for my harp call for the back and soundboard to be made of plywood. Being a long time piano rebuilder, it goes against my grain (no pun intended) to use plywood anywhere in a musical instrument. Plywood would be stronger and less likely to crack, but I believe solid wood makes for a better sound. So to make the back, I took a piece of 1" X 7" rough cut walnut lumber and resawed it to 1/2" thickness, then planed the two pieces to 3/8" thickness. The pictures show the two pieces being edge glued together. Because the two pieces came from the same board, I book matched the pieces, which makes for a very beautibul grain pattern on the panel. After the glue has dried, I will plane the panel to 1/4" thickness, and cut it to match the pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment