Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Steinway O Soundboard Glued Into Case


At last we are ready to glue the soundboard into the case rim. It's time to stop and think through the process. Am I ready? Once the glue is applied there is no turning back. What did I forget? Do I have the needed cauls and clamps ready? Okay, I'm ready to do it. Liquid hide glue is poured into a 1/2 pint container, and I begin brushing a liberal coat of glue around the perimeter of the rim that will receive the soundboard. After I am around, I double check that I have a glossy coat of glue applied. If it is not glossy, then more glue is added. Now the new board is laid in place and the clamping begins. Starting at the front stretcher, a place the caul and 3 clamps. The 6 bind bar screws are installed. I place 4 more cauls and clamps at several spots around the perimeter. Now I begin to fill in, again starting at the front stretcher. And then around the perimeter, I fill in clamps. Clamps, clamps and more clamps, until there is a clamp about every 4-6 inches, with the cauls placed with only a small gap between. I crawl underneath and clean up the squeeze out. I then check with a mirror and flashlight that everything looks good from the bottom. Then it's time to sit down and admire your work, and breathe a sigh if relief that everything looks good. Elapsed time- about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment