Monday, April 13, 2009

Harp Soundboard



It's great to be able to apply some of the skills I've learned in piano rebuilding to harp construction. This past week, I built my first harp soundboard from left over sitka spruce piano soundboard material. Since the harp soundboard is thinner than a piano soundboard, it is possible to plane the thicker material to harp dimensions. This is a solid board, not laminated. I was advised against using solid spruce, but as a piano rebuilder, I can't stomach the idea of a piece of plywood being a sound board. The harp board is 1/4" thick at the bottom, and 1/8" thick at the top. The pieces of spruce were about 4" wide before gluing. Each piece was planes slightly thinner than the previous piece to achieve the taper in thickness. After the panel was glued up, the bottom was sanded flat, while the top was not only tapered from bottom to top, but the edges were also feathered. This is a true soundboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment