Thursday, April 23, 2009

Steinway O Bridges Installed On Board




In preparation for gluing the bridges onto the new board, the top of the board received it's final sanding. Then the bridge locations were hi-lighted, as well as the trim pieces. Shellac was applied to seal the board except where the bridges and moldings will be glued. Liquid hide glue is my choice for gluing bridges to the board. It has a long working time, and is easily cleaned from the bridge if it is recapped in 100 years. I put temporary screws through the dowel hole in the rib into the bridge to clamp the bridge to the board. I also press the area's between the ribs in my pneumatic press. After the glue has dried and before I remove it from the press, I install the dowels through the ribs, and into the base of the bridges. This is an exact duplication of the end result in the factory.

No comments:

Post a Comment