Saturday, February 21, 2009

Finishing Baldwin F Case Parts



This week I have spent a lot of time in the finishing room. Thankfully, all the stripping is done, and now I am putting the new finish on the parts. I started by filling a lot of dings in the case. Since this is an ebony finish, I don't need to worry about matching the wood grain. So I used a polyester filler, similar to what an auto body shop uses to fill dents. After I have completed the repairs, I applied wood filler to pieces that had open grain veneers. Some parts had maple veneer, which has closed wood grain, but some parts have a mahogany veneer, whick is very open. After sealing the wood with schellac, I begin spraying black lacquer until I get the necessary build for rubbing (sanding) the finish level.

No comments:

Post a Comment