Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Harp Project Completed



After the neck finish cured, I rubbed the entire neck and sound chamber with steel wool and wax to give the harp a satin patina. The holes were drilled to receive the guide pins and tuning pins. I chose to use piano tuning pins rather than the harpsichord pins supplied with the hardware. Installing the nylon strings was a bit different than music wire. Tuning the new strings and adding tension to the soundboard is some what frightening. Will my board design withstand the tension? Time will tell, but so far it is holding, although it has bowed upwards about 1/8" in the center. I am having a bit of trouble with the knots at the end if the strings sliding. I applied a drop of super glue to the knots and hopefully that will stop the sliding. The tuning pins require a fair amount of strength to move, but I am sure they will loosen up with time and use. I hope to take the harp and my grand daughter to meet the Cumberland Valley Harp Circle this Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment